Pages

Sunday, April 14, 2013

N is for Noolbenger

The Noolbenger (Tarsipes rostratus) or more commonly known as the Honey Possum, is a small mouse-like marsupial native to Australia.  Honey possums are unique in that they are the last survivors of an ancient group who feed solely on nectar and pollen.


Noolbengers are nocturnal and solitary.  Males and females both have small ranges with the males' ranges overlapping the females', although the females seem to be dominant.  Because they only live 1-2 years at most, mating begins at 6 months of age and can happen at any time of year with females producing up to 4 litters a year. 


There are a couple of interesting facts about the honey possum, all having to do with reproduction.  First off, the honey possum young are the smallest young of any mammal.  This at least makes a little bit of sense due to their tiny size.  Honey possums also possess the largest testes to body size of any mammal at 4.2 percent of their body weight.  That being said they also have the largest sperm of any mammal at 0.36mm.  Yes, that's even bigger than hippos and elephants.  Pretty neat for such small critters.


9 comments:

  1. What an adorably creepy little guy! Just stopping by for the A-Z Challenge. Please check us out and sign up to follow if you like what you see. Juliet atCity Muse Country Muse

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like he should be wearing a monocle!!! S cute!

    Hugs!

    Valerie Nunez and the Flying Platypi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, is that little guy cute! I lived in Oz but have never seen one! Fun post! Happy A-to-Z 2013! ~Angela, Whole Foods Living, http://www.wholefoodsliving.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of noolbengers. I'm glad I stopped by. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful . gonna watch your elephant vid. I just looked at your "about me" I used to live around there. I am in Richmond MA now. Nice place where you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, that particular elephant vid is pretty short, but I got the chance to work with those girls for about 4 months and there are a couple other good ones on my youtube channel if you ever feel inclined to watch!

      Delete
  6. They are so cute. Thanks for sharing. I can cross off one more thing from my I-don't-know list.

    Silvia @ Silvia Writes

    ReplyDelete