Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

D is for Dik-Dik

A dik-dik is a small antelope in the Madoqua family.  There are four species of dik-dik in the world, Guenther's dik-dik, Salt's dik-dik, the silver dik-dik, and Kirk's dik-dik.  All four species live in Africa.  The tallest of the four, also the most common, the Kirk's dik-dik is only 14-18 inches tall and weighs 8-15 pounds.  Yes, they are that small. 


Dik-diks live in monogamous pairs on their proclaimed territory, living with their most recent young.  When the fawns reach sexual maturity, around 6-8 months, the parents run them off their territory.  The young then finds a mate and takes a new territory.


Dik-diks live in areas with good cover but without tall plants.  They are mainly nocturnal foragers who eat foliage, shoots, fruits, and berries. Surprisingly, they do not need to drink.


They're not a threatened species at this time.  Their main predators include humans and small carnivores.  They do face danger from humans who hunt them to use their bones for traditional jewelry and their skins for suede gloves.

 There's not too much more I'd like to say about these adorable critters.  Feel free to just take a moment to bask in their cuteness.  Oh, and yes, their names are pronounced the way you think they shouldn't be.



9 comments:

  1. I would like one as a pet!I bet those little horn hurt though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is possibly the cutest thing ever. I have to show my daughter this. She'll flip!

    Hugs!

    Valerie Nunez and the Flying Platypi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable. But at the same time (because I have the maturity of a 13 year old) I can't help but snicker every time I read their name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, they're so tiny! I had no idea how its they are. An elegant, delicate, lovely little thing. Love your Challenge theme, Caitlin, and all the beautiful photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun! I like small deer-like creatures. Then again I am a storyteller and I am obligated to worship Mouse Deer.
    Fun blog! Happy A to Z! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah so tiny and cute. Such a pretty face too.
    Thanks for sharing all these wonderful creatures.

    Margot at A Devotional Mosaic and Spark My Creativity

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love reading about animals that I have never heard of before. Love this little guy.

    ReplyDelete