Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Y is for...

You Only Live Once

Cliche I know, but true nonetheless.  In recent years, I have slowly but surely come to the point where I will attempt almost anything at least once.  I say almost because I'm not stupid and I'm not going to try drugs and death-defying stunts and what not.  I mean, trying new foods and stepping out of my comfort zone.  You only live once, so why not try everything?  The main thing that I get out of this is to live your life with no regrets.  I don't want to be 80 years old and look back at my life and say, why didn't I do that while I had the chance?  Or, why did it take me so long to try this food or go to that city?

This is very close to the post I did for N- New Experiences.  But the differentiating factor between YOLO and New Experiences it that living life with no regrets doesn't necessarily have to be trying new things.  It can simply be living everything that you are doing to the fullest extent possible.  Make the best out of every occasion.  Work at the job you love, or at least can tolerate until you find another one.  Don't worry yourself to death!  Sometimes you just have to accept the fact that everything happens for a reason and if something didn't happen, then maybe it just wasn't the right time.  Things like that.


There are many people out there who are learning to hate the phrase, and the only thing I can say to you is, get over it!  You DO only live once.  I'm not trying to advertise the use of this saying, I'm concerned with the truth that it represents for all of us.  And if someone out there is thinking, 'Yeah, but I'm going to be reincarnated so I'm going to live more than once and boo on this post!,' consider this, you don't know how long it will take for you to be reincarnated.  And what if, when you are, all the things that you regret not doing are gone?  Want to swim with the sharks?  Well there was massive over fishing and now they're all dead!  Want to visit the Grand Canyon?  It was destroyed when someone launched a nuclear attack on the U.S.  Wish you could ride the largest roller coaster in the world?  Well it's been closed for 20 years because there was a massive accident and 30 people died.  You simply don't know!  And that goes toward anyone, actually.  If you believe in reincarnation or not, no one knows what will happen in the future so there's no time like the present to get things done!  Life as you know it could end tomorrow and I don't know about you, but I would hate to have regrets to look back upon.  You Only Live Once!  So live it up while you can. 

4 comments:

  1. Great scenarios for doing it all when you're reincarnated. Very funny. And what if you wish you'd been kinder to your husband? You might come back and see him married to a wealthy, gorgeous woman. You'd have no chance.


    http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Francene! Yeah, I did leave out relationships, huh? A bit of an oversight, but thanks for bringing it up!

      Delete
  2. Agreed!!!! I'm always saying You Only Live Once and You Can't Take It With You. As long as i'm not a chicken, I'll try new stuff. I do regret not getting back to Lake Tahoe to Parasail though. And I will try ziplining, although I'd hoped to do that up in Whistler, BC but I'm sure I can find somewhere in New England that has it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know for a fact that there are some ziplines up in NH, so I wish you luck with that!

      Delete