Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

New Year

Well everybody, it is the end of another year.  It will never again be 2011.  You will never again be the same as you were this year.  Is that scary?  Well it shouldn't be.

I'm pretty sure it was the end of the 2008 marching season when somebody told me that the group I just spent my summer with will never be the same group again.  Members come and go, the show changes, the people evolve, etc.  Everything is different.  And it's true.  Everything changes, be it to the better or to the worse.  You just don't know until it happens. 

So I would like to take a moment and wish each and every one of you a healthy and successful 2012.  Whether the world ends or not is a moot point.  Take a hold of your life and do what you want with it.  Succeed in those New Years resolutions, travel really far away on vacation, jump out of a perfectly good airplane if that's what you want!  Live your life with no regrets.

Today I finished watching the first season of the show Dead Like Me with my mom.  The show aired in 2003-04 and it was about a handful of people who had died but instead of passing on to their next destination stuck around here and became grim reapers, in charge of guiding other souls to their destinations.  The second to last episode had one of the characters, Daisy,  give quite an interesting revelation; "We are all temps."  It's as simple as that.  No matter how much we do in life, or how much we impact others, we are still only temporary.  So instead of letting the little time we do have slip by, we need to live it.  To quote my favorite poet, e.e. cummings, "Unbeing dead isn't being alive." 

So on that note I would like to wish you all well with your New Year celebrations.  Have fun, be safe, and for goodness sake don't drink and drive.  I'll see you all on the other side!


1 comment: