Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

V is for...

Vampires!
Who will suck your blood!  Muahahahahaha!!!  But seriously now.  There has been a major raise in vampires in the main stream culture pretty recently.  Vampires and other mythological creatures used to be considered dark, and only the strange, nerdy, or goth people were really into them.  But now everything has changed.  I think that it really started with Twilight.  I mean, after the first movie came out there was just an explosion of vampires everywhere!  At least three new shows started on TV and more movies with vampires and werewolves and such were coming out, it was crazy. 


I myself have always been interested in the supernatural.  One of my favorite shows as a kid was Buffy the Vampire Slayer. 

It had everything a girl could want!  Intrigue, high school drama, vampires, crazy supernatural beings, everything!  After Buffy there weren't a whole lot of big TV shows like that for a while, but there were movies, and plenty of books, both classics and new stuff.  Plus the spin-off Angel was an awesome show all on it's own.

Within the past 10 years there have been over ten movies and TV series that I can think of relating to Vampires or the Supernatural; Moonlight, Blood Ties, Blade, Queen of the Damned, Van Helsing, 30 Days of Night, Cirque du Freak, the Twilight series, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood, Being Human, and Grimm.  That's a lot.  Not that I'm complaining by any means, I am actually really enjoying this plethora of supernatural shows.  It just makes it so much easier to watch the type of programs that I like.  What do you guys think about this explosion of vampire culture into the mainstream?

4 comments:

  1. Everyone seems to be overlooking Anne Rice's Vampire series these days; I read Interview with the Vampire back in about 1991. Not that I cared for her books. I am not terribly enamored with the Twilight sparkly vampire thing. I'm sure this too shall pass...it seems like the zombie thing is beginning to take over the vampire thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I was going to mention Anne Rice, but I was mostly concentrating on the recent explosion. And as awesome as Anne Rice is, she's not as recent as most of these other things.

      Delete
  2. Hey Caitlin,nice to meet you.

    As far as I'm concerned, vampires they come and they go. Not terribly impressed or dissatisfied. Just the next big thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caitlin i love your fanged picture. Your V rocks! I love vampires and especially Being Human. Great post!

    ReplyDelete